Monday, May 26, 2008

A Good Resource for Studies of Religion Students


I didn't create this early enough to wish you all luck in your Semester One exams but if I can do so retroactively I will, so Good Luck in your Semester One exams. I actually have the papers on my desk now and I am looking for distractions so that I can postpone the pain of marking.

I would like you all to take a look at the following website.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/

It's a very good resource because it doesn't have a barrow to push. It's not Catholic or Moslem or Buddhist, or Jewish or Hindu or Pagan or anything. Be warned, I may say it doesn't have a barrow to push but that doesn't mean there's no bias in any of the articles.

You need to start developing good research skills. I was at a conference today and they were praising the internet for containing more information than you could ever possibly need and condemning users who didn't use it properly and who took the first thing they discovered as gospel. They said that when researching "Wikipedia" is a good place to start. But if you stop there then you are making a big mistake. Good research involves the skill of evaluating the worth of information, looking for bias and innacuracies and making a judgement as to its value. This is a skill that is worth developing now. It might take more time, but you will undoubtedly learn more.

Now I had better get back to the papers. See you after the exams.

No comments: